Have you ever wondered just how to categorize bands like Okkervil River, The Hold Steady and M. Ward? Thanks to the fine folks at NPR we now have a new sub-genre for our music labeling pleasure with the introduction of the phrase – Smart Rock – into our lexicon. Smart Rock is defined as “music that appeals to a discerning, educated audience and often mellow yet complex” – so pretty much 80% of the music that currently resides on my iPod. You may be a fan of the genre already, check out NPR’s Top Ten Smart Rock Albums of the year and find out if it’s up your alley.
- List Time: Spin’s Top 5 San Fran bands
- AD kicks down a killer Flying Burrito Brothers show from 1969
- Cover Alert: Noah & The Whale tackle Daniel Johnson
- Muzzle Of Bees pays tribute to Milwaukee’s Atomic Records
- JamBase reviews the Relentless 7 at the Belly Up
- Trey shares his favorite memories about The Spectrum
Finally, if you’re looking for the perfect gift for the festival loving music fan in your life look no further than the Live From Bonnaroo 2008 DVD which will hit stores in January. The DVD, which was originally an exclusive for those who bought tickets to the fest, is currently available for pre-order for the low, low price of $16.99 and includes performances from the likes of The Raconteurs, Broken Social Scene, My Morning Jacket and Pearl Jam. The trailer is currently streaming on the ‘Roo’s website for your viewing pleasure.