We’re roughly a month away from the 2012 edition of the Newport Folk Festival, and while we still await the daily schedule, we can report that the grandaddy of all music fests has made some final additions to its lineup. Joining the meaty bill, which already features headliners My Morning Jacket and Jackson Browne, will be bluegrass legend Del McCoury and singer-songwriter Tao Rodriguez Seeger (who happens to the grandson of the legendary folkie Pete Seeger). Both McCoury and Seeger will appear as special guests of Preservation Hall Jazz Band for their scheduled set on Saturday afternoon. Additionally, this year’s fest will also feature the Martin Busking Series, which will showcase the talents of two local acts Jonah Tolchin and GraveRobbers, who will appear both on stage and will be busking throughout the festival grounds.
- List Time: Five Songs That Sample Rush
- Ryan Adams to digitally release his massive live box set Life After Deaf
- Cover Alert: Usher tackles Foster The People
- Radiohead has rescheduled their postponed European dates for September
- Download This: Doc Watson – Gerde’s Folk City – 1962
- Van Morrison to release his new studio album Born To Sing: No Plan B on 10/8
Finally, as we previously reported, the fate of whether The Rolling Stones will actually celebrate their 50th anniversary with some live shows in 2012 seemingly rests on a band meeting next month. While we eagerly await word on what Mick, Keef & Co. decide, earlier this week the band’s iconic lips and tongue got a hip 21st century makeover thanks in part to graphic designer Shepard Fairey, who was commissioned by the band to give it an updated look. Check it out…