It seems that each day we’re learning of another musician who has passed away after battling cancer. Guitarist Chris Cartelli survived a bout with the dreaded disease and started a foundation called Rocking Out Cancer to raise funds which support clinical trials in cancer research through live music events [read our feature on the organization here]. Rocking Out Cancer’s first concert will take place on August 2nd at The Stephen Talkhouse in Amagansett, New York featuring HT faves Tim Palmieri, performing a set of Beatles tunes on acoustic guitar, and Leroy Justice.
Tickets will run $10, with proceeds going towards ROC. For more information on this incredibly worthwhile concert, be sure to follow the event’s page on Facebook.
Here’s six other stories of note as we start the week…
- The lineup for the second annual Holy Ship! EDM cruise was announced
- Mumford & Sons have written a song for a new Pixar film
- Ben Harper, Los Lobos and BHT&tM will headline The Ride festival
- Check out a new Modeselektor track featuring Thom Yorke
- The Rolling Stones “Reunite” for a video Thank You to fans
- Keller Williams and the Travelin’ McCourys paid tribute to Donna Summer
Finally, HT contributor and turntablist extraordinaire Wade “Wyllys” Wilby has just launched a brand-new website. Located at OriginalWyllys.com, you can keep tabs on the latest Wyllys gigs and sample his music through the site. Wilby heads to the Summer Camp Music Festival this weekend for a performance with the New York Hustler Ensemble featuring Umphrey’s McGee guitarist Brendan Bayliss.