Following last night’s marathon show Phish returned to Alpine Valley Music Center in East Troy, Wisconsin this evening for the second of two performances at the massive shed.
After one night off from the “kitchen sink” setlists thrown down at Deer Creek on Thursday and Friday, Phish was right back at it tonight, dropping one tour debut after another from their vast catalog. For the second evening in a row Phish opened the show with two covers. The concert began with a cover of Bob Marley’s Soul Shakedown Party, the 172nd different song Phish has played since the start of the tour. Next up was Lonesome Cowboy Bill, the fourth Velvet Underground cover from Loaded played in the last four nights, and yet another tour debut (song #173). The repertoire digging continued with the first Vultures of 2012 (song #174). A patient, Trey-driven Gotta Jibboo kept the energy up before the tender-as-fuck Dirt (song #175) offered a breather.
[Photo by @Phish_FTR]
Six songs in we had our fifth tour debut, a straight-forward take on A Song I Heard The Ocean Sing (song #176), which was last played on the final day of 2011′s Super Ball IX festival. A pair of Mike Gordon sung gems in Undermind track Access Me (song #177) and Meat (song #178) off Story of the Ghost, led into a cover of Frankenstein (song #179) with Page McConnell on keytar. Trey’s megaphone was brought out for a take on Fee (song #180) which had been on the shelf since June 4, 2011 (45 shows). The quartet extended the harmonics jam at the end of the tune way beyond its normal boundaries for a few glorious minutes. Heavy rotation faves Maze and The Squirming Coil brought the well-rounded set, complete with nine tour debuts, to a close.
Just as with the first set, a pair of covers kicked off Set Two. A relatively short Crosseyed and Painless led into the year’s first No Quarter (song #181), a Led Zeppelin tune debuted and performed three times in 2011. A standout 15-minute version of Light saw the band explore a few different ideas before seguing into Ghost. This fine take on Ghost featured multiple peaks and reprised the “Still Waiting” lyrics from Crosseyed and Painless. From there, Phish played it straight driving through standard takes on Back On The Train, Farmhouse (song #182), 46 Days, Heavy Things and Joy (song #183). Julius gave Trey one last chance to shred as the second set closer. Meatstick, for only the fourth time in the song’s 15 year history, served as the encore. Once again, Trey welcomed fans on stage to do “The Meatstick.”
The tour continues on Tuesday back in the Northeast for the first of two shows at Jones Beach.
 Page on keytar.
 Trey on megaphone.
 Crosseyed and Painless quotes.
 Japanese lyrics.
Notes: Soul Shakedown Party was preceded by a Chalk Dust Torture Reprise tease from Trey. Frankenstein featured Page on keytar and Fee featured Trey on the megaphone. Ghost contained Crosseyed and Painless quotes. Meatstick included Japanese lyrics and fans dancing on stage.
Here’s The Skinny for Phish at Alpine Valley…
- Venue Capacity / Attendance / Type: 37,000 / 23,000 (Estimate) / Amphitheater
- Previous Shows at Venue: 14 Shows – 08/10/1996, 08/09/1997, 08/01/1998, 07/24/1999, 07/08/2000, 07/18/2003, 07/19/2003, 06/25/2004, 06/26/2004, 06/20/2009, 06/21/2009, 08/14/2010, 08/15/2010 and 06/30/2012
- Number Of Songs / Length – First Set: 12 / 8:00 PM – 9:25 PM (85 Minutes)
- Number Of Songs / Length – Second Set & Encore: 11 / 9:57 PM – 11:30 PM (93 Minutes)
- Total Number of Songs / Covers / Originals: 23 / 5 / 18
- Biggest Bustout: Frankenstein – 53 Shows (LTP – 01/01/2011)
- Debuts: N/A
- Weather: 83° and Sunny at Showtime
- Wardrobe: Trey – Black and Grey Striped T-Shirt and Jeans / Page – Navy Short-Sleeve Button-Down Shirt and Jeans / Mike – Black T-Shirt and Black Jeans / Fish – Dress
- Average Song Gap: 18.43
- The Spread: Junta – 1, Lawn Boy – 1, Rift – 1, Hoist – 1, Story of the Ghost – 2, Farmhouse – 5 , Round Room -1, Undermind – 2, Joy – 2, Misc. – 2, Covers – 5,
- Longest LivePhish Track / Shortest LivePhish Track: Light 14:31 / Back On The Train 4:30
- Audio: Live Phish