After a swing through the south, Phish returned to the Midwest tonight for their first-ever performance at Chaifetz Arena on the campus of the University of St. Louis in St. Louis, Missouri. The band turned in another old school affair that featured one of the best Limb By Limb’s ever played.
Keeping with the leg’s old school theme, Phish once again focused on classic material in tonight’s first set. In fact, Ocelot was the only song played which was debuted after 1993 with ten of the set’s 13 songs performed added to Phish’s repertoire in 1990 or earlier. High-energy takes on Punch You In The Eye and Runaway Jim, that both featured the “extra mustard” treatment from guitarist Trey Anastasio, set the pace for the rest of the opening stanza.
Reba stood out as the first set’s improvisational highlight thanks to a patient and deliberate build up that led to an extended climax. The Curtain was played without the “With” segment for only the third time since The Curtain With was revived on July 12, 2000 with the other instances taking place on September 9, 2000 and July 3, 2011. A Peaches En Regalia, Mound segment was the stuff setlist dreams were made of as recently as two years ago before both tunes were performed more regularly. Quinn The Eskimo brought the set of straight-forward, old school rockers to a close.
Encore: Shine a Light
Notes: Before the vacuum solo in I Didn’t Know, Trey introduced Fish as “The John Coltrane of the vacuum cleaner.”
Another jammed out version of Chalk Dust Torture kicked off the second set and segued into the first Frankie Says since December 28, 2010 – the 212th distinct song Phish has played this year if you count Curtain separately from Curtain With. A pretty, flowing Frankie Says jam dissolved into Undermind, the only song from the album of the same name performed this leg outside of Crowd Control. While Undermind didn’t get “the treatment” it featured a Trey-led segue into what our friend Pauly at Coventry Blog called a “thermonuclear” Sand. The transitions weren’t finished as out of the end of Sand came Phish’s always scorching cover of Walk Away.
Limb By Limb isn’t a song that the quartet frequently uses as a jam vehicle, but they did tonight. Anastasio didn’t seem to have any interest in playing his standard solo and led his band mates on a lengthy excursion. By the seven-minute mark all four members of Phish were far removed from the typical Limb By Limb structure. Trey took the ball and ran with it during the “Type II” jam as he weaved one intense, machine-gun riff into another which made for one of the best versions of the song ever. Stop reading this recap, download the Limb By Limb, listen to it and then come back…we’ll wait. You wouldn’t usually consider Julius a “cool down song,” but after that Limb By Limb the jazzy Julius solo offered a bit of a breather. You Enjoy Myself gave Anastasio another shot at glory and he delivered a fiery solo that sort of fizzled into the bass-and-drum segment. And with a Shine A Light encore, Phish brought a fantastic show, that will best be remembered for its Limb By Limb, to a close. Who would’ve thunk it? The tour continues tomorrow night with the first Phish show ever in Oklahoma.
Here’s The Skinny from Phish’s return to St. Louis…
- Venue Capacity / Attendance / Type: 10,600 / 9,700 (Estimate) / Indoor Basketball Arena
- Previous Shows at Venue: Phish has never played this venue before.
- Number Of Songs / Length – First Set: 13 / 8:11PM – 9:41PM (90 Minutes)
- Number Of Songs / Length – Second Set & Encore: 10 / 10:08PM – 11:41 (93 Minutes)
- Total Number of Songs / Covers / Originals: 23 / 5 / 18
- Biggest Bustout: Frankie Says – 70 Shows [LTP - 12/28/2010]
- Average Song Vintage: 1992
- Debuts: N/A
- Weather: 84° and Clear at Show Time
- Wardrobe: Trey – White, Green and Aqua Blue Checkered Long-Sleeve Button-Down Shirt and Jeans / Mike – Grey Long-Sleeve Button-Down Shirt and Jeans / Page – Navy Blue Short-Sleeve Button-Down Shirt and Jeans / Fish – Dress
- Average Song Gap: 10.91
- The Spread: Junta – 1, Lawn Boy – 1, Picture of Nectar – 1, Rift – 1, Hoist – 2, Story of the Ghost – 2, Farmhouse – 1, Undermind – 1, Joy – 1, Misc. – 7, Covers – 5,
- Longest LivePhish Track / Shortest LivePhish Track: You Enjoy Myself (20:06) / Peaches En Regalia (3:22)
- Audio: Live Phish