We’ve reached the end of Phish Super Ball IX, which concludes after two sets tonight at Watkins Glen International racetrack in Watkins Glen, NY. On Saturday the band provided a marathon days worth of music with four sets by the time they called it a night.
[Photo by Andy Hill]
Set 1: Soul Shakedown Party, AC/DC Bag > The Curtain > Colonel Forbin’s Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird, Destiny Unbound > Big Black Furry Creature from Mars > Wilson > Mound, A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing, Time Loves a Hero, Reba -> David Bowie
Set 2: Big Balls > Down with Disease -> No Quarter > Party Time, Ghost > Gotta Jibboo > Light,Waves > What’s the Use?, Meatstick > Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan, The Star Spangled Banner
Encore: First Tube
 Theme from Leave it to Beaver tease from Mike.
 Dave’s Energy Guide tease.
 Phish debut
 Japanese lyrics.
Notes: This show was the third of the three-show Super Ball IX festival. The Curtain was played for the first time since September 9, 2000 (202 shows). The narration preceding Mockingbird, (the first since September 30, 2000 (188 shows), referenced the previous night’s fourth set Storage Jam and explained that all of SBIX was merely a mental projection of a reality that the band created in 1988 on their way to Colorado. Mike teased the theme from Leave it to Beaver during BBFCFM. Reba contained Dave’s Energy Guide teases. The setbreak featured All-American themed music. This show featured the Phish debut of Big Balls. Disease was unfinished. Meatstick included Japanese lyrics. Before the encore, Trey thanked each of the crew, management and artists who helped make Super Ball IX happen. First Tube was followed by fireworks.
- Venue Capacity / Attendance: 60,000 / 30,000*
- Previous Shows at Venue: July 1, 2011, July 2, 2011
- Number Of Songs / Length – First Set: 13 / 7:56 > 9:45 (109 Minutes)
- Number Of Songs / Length – Second Set: 13 / 10:40 > 12:29 PM (109 Minutes)
- Total Number of Songs / Covers / Originals: 26 / 5 / 21
- Biggest Bustout: The Curtain (Last Played 9/9/2000 – 202 Shows)
- Debuts: Big Balls (AC/DC)
- Average Song Gap: 20.48
- Longest LivePhish Track / Shortest LivePhish Track: Reba (16:07) / Big Balls (3:39)
- Audio: Live Phish SBD
* – Estimate, Awaiting Actual Figure From Billboard’s Box Scores