There has been somewhat of a radical shift in holiday music over the last handful of years, as indie-acts have been putting their modern spin on what has traditionally been dominated by bland schmaltz. Arguably the artist that can be credited with spurring this moment is Sufjan Stevens, who will release his second volume of Christmas songs, Silver & Gold, in November. The massive 58-track set features a mix of traditional, classic and new music and is currently available for pre-order via the singer-songwriter’s website in a variety of formats and packages. On November 23, Stevens’ will kick off his 24-date tour, that’s dubbed The “Surfjohn Stevens Christmas Sing-A-Long Seasonal Affective Disorder Yuletide Disaster Pageant On Ice,” with a gig at the Union Transfer in Philadelphia.
If you’re not into a night with Mr. Stevens, then maybe you’ll be interested in hitting one of these recently announced tours…
- Field Report: November Headlining Tour (11/6 – 11/17)
- Polyphonic Spree: 10th Anniversary Holiday Extravaganza (12/3 – 12/22)
- of Montreal: Winter U.S. Tour (11/28 – 12/15)
- Titus Andronicus: National Business Tour (10/23 – 12/2)
- Muse: North American Tour (2/4 – 4/26)
- Rusted Root: Fall US. Tour (10/12 – 11/21)