Over the last few years, the hot thing has been get indie-rock bands to perform a classic album from their catalog. Well, for his upcoming residency at the Hollywood Bowl, legendary singer-songwriter Van Morrison will perform arguably his best album- Astral Weeks – in its entirety. Joining Van The Man will be a number of the musicians who originally performed on the album. The three night run – set to take place on November 7, 8 & 9 – will be filmed for a DVD release called Astral Weeks Live At The Hollywood Bowl.
If you aren’t into the full album thing, then maybe you’ll dig one of these recently announced tours…
- Yo La Tengo returns to Maxwell’s for another eight night Hannukah run (begins: 12/21)
- Guitar slinger Derek Trucks takes his self-named band out on the road (begins: 10/22)
- Electro-rockers Ghostland Observatory keep busy through the end of the year (begins: 10/10)
- U.K. buzz band Noah & The Whale return to the states in December (begins: 12/02)
- Magnolia Electric Co. line up a brief 14 date run (begins: 10/21)
- Indie-pop act The Spinto Band head out for a two month tour (begins: 10/17)
Finally, several months back roots/Americana magazine No Depression ceased publication with the promise of relaunching as a web magazine in the coming months. Well, they have made good on that promise and have recently relaunched with a brand spanking new website and some amazing content. As a way of celebrating this No Depression is sponsoring a number of a parties around the country over the next few weeks featuring an impressive roster of talent that includes Lucinda Williams, Minus 5, Alejandro Escovedo and Nick Lowe, as well as dropping a hint of a full festival to take place in Seattle next July. Welcome back guys!